Human Rights and Gender
EUPOL COPPS, as part of the EU family, is committed to promoting and protecting human rights and gender equality throughout its actions. Sustainable peace, development and security are possible only when grounded upon respect for human rights, democracy and rule of law.
Human rights and gender are mainstreamed at all levels of the Mission’s activities, from strategic planning through to the integration into operational activities with our Palestinian counterparts. This ensures that our mission members take human rights and gender issues into account and apply a rights based approach in all engagement with the Palestinian Civil Police and the Palestinian Justice Institutions. This work is supported by the Mission’s Human Rights & Gender Team, comprised of three advisers.
As well as directly providing human rights and gender mainstreaming advice and training to our Palestinian partners, the Mission works with local and international stakeholders, in particular civil society, to ensure that progress in the protection of human rights for all Palestinians is sustainable and rooted in local ownership.
Background information on human rights and gender
Human rights related links:
- EEAS human rights and democracy
- EU Human Rights Guidelines
- EU Annual Reports on Human Rights and Democratisation
- EU Action Plan on Human Rights and Democracy
In 2018, the Mission has revised its Human Rights Strategy. The revised strategy is available here.
Women, peace and security related links:
- EU GENDER ACTION PLAN III - AN AMBITIOUS AGENDA FOR GENDER EQUALITY AND WOMEN’S EMPOWERMENT IN EU EXTERNAL ACTION
- Comprehensive Approach to the EU implementation of the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1325 and 1820 on women, peace and security
- In September 2016 the Council of the EU adopted a revised set of indicators to monitor the implementation of the comprehensive approach
- Baseline study on the integration of human rights and gender into CSDP
For further information on our work on human rights or gender please contact: HumanRights@eupolcopps.eu
“As the European Union, from the very beginning we have made the protection of human rights not only the foundation of our common internal and external policies, but of our Union itself.”
Federica Mogherini, EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy